After a long, cold winter, it’s time to stretch those legs and lace up those running shoes for the first crop of local charity road races.
Here are some upcoming North Fork runs to keep in mind.
• Join the North Fork Environmental Council for its first Earth Day 5K run at Indian Island County Park on Sunday, April 24. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and the race kicks off at 10 a.m.
Early registration is $25, day of registration is $30. Registration for a family of four is $75 (there is no family registration on the day of the race.)
All proceeds benefit the North Fork Environmental Council’s environmental education programs and scholarship fund.
Indian Island County Park is located on Cross River Drive in Riverhead.
• The John May Mile and 5K run kicks off at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 7, at Peconic Landing in Greenport. The entry fee for the 5K is $20 in advance, $25 the day of the race and $15 for students. Entry fee for the John May Mile, a one mile walk around the Peconic Landing campus, is $10 per adult and $5 for those 14 & under or 55 & older.
The race, which benefits the Greenport Fire Department, has raised more than $160,000 since 2005.
There’s also an awesome barbecue afterward, so stick around.
Peconic Landing is located at 1500 Brecknock Road in Greenport.
Click here to register.
• The Survival Race, a 5K obstacle course, is set for May 7 at Long Island Sports Park in Calverton. Registartion is $79 and ends May 5. Walk-on registration on the day of the race is $89.
The first wave of runners starts at 9 a.m. The last at 2:30 p.m.
Long Island Sports Park is located at 149 Edwards Ave. in Calverton.
• The Riverhead Administrator’s Association will host a 5K run/walk Sunday, May 15 to remember and celebrate the memory of lost loved ones.
The race, called the Run To Remember, will raise funds for Riverhead High School senior class scholarships.
The race will start and finish on School Street by Riverhead High School. The entrance fee is $20 for early online registration and $25 for registration on the day of the race. The first 150 registrants will receive a T-shirt.
Organizers are also seeking sponsors for the event.
The race starts at 9 a.m.
For more information, visit the Run to Remember website.
• The Shelter Island 10K and 5K race/fun run will also return for its 37th year on Saturday, June 18.
Runners can sign up for the Shelter Island 10K or 5K here. The race is limited to 2,500 runners. The entry fee is $40 for the 10K and $30 for the 5K and benefits the Shelter Island 10K Community Fund.
There will also be some great raffle prizes, like two round-trip tickets from event sponsor JetBlue.
Know of any other upcoming local races? Tell us in the comment section below.