Looking to celebrate the nation’s birthday on the North Fork this year? The northforker Independence Day guide has got you covered.
The North Fork will be festooned with red, white and blue this weekend as people celebrate Independence Day with music, fireworks and parades. A roundup of planned festivities follows.
• The New Suffolk Civic Association’s Fourth of July parade will step off at 11 a.m. Saturday from Tuthill Lane and New Suffolk Avenue. It had been scheduled for Fourth of July, but was postponed due to anticipated inclement weather.
• The Southold Village Merchants’ 17th annual Fourth of July parade down Main Road was rescheduled for noon Saturday. It had also been scheduled for Fourth of July, but was postponed due to anticipated inclement weather.
• The Oysterponds Historical Society will host a Heritage Day parade and celebration from noon to 3 p.m. on Sunday, July 6. The parade steps off at noon at the Village Lane Civil War monument. The Declaration of Independence will be read on the steps of the Old Point School House and the celebration will continue at Poquatuck Park.
• Fireworks and a concert in downtown Riverhead were canceled July 4.
• The annual Greenport Fire Department annual carnival at the Moore’s Lane Polo Grounds boasts a night of fireworks — at 10 p.m. Saturday, July 5. The carnival opens tonight, Thursday, July 3, and runs from 6 to 11 p.m. nightly through July 5. The July 4 fireworks were canceled.
• Fireworks start at 9 p.m. Saturday, July 5, at Peconic Bay Medical Center’s annual carnival fundraiser off Route 25A in Wading River. The carnival runs from 6 to 11 p.m. July 3 through 5.
• Riverhead Raceway’s fireworks begin at dusk on Saturday, July 5.m
• The Shelter Island Chamber of Commerce will host an “extra-special” Independence Day fireworks display over Crescent Beach at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, July 12. Rain date is July 13. These fireworks are usually visible from parts of Southold.
• A fireworks display will take place in Jamesport Saturday, July 12, the last evening of the Jamesport Fire Department’s annual bazaar. The bazaar opens Tuesday, July 8, and runs until 11 p.m. each night. A parade along Route 25 is set for Wednesday, July 9, at 7 p.m.
July 4 celebrations
• Suffolk Theater in Riverhead will hold “FREEdom Fest,” a free pre-fireworks show, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Friday. Big Beat will play dance music.