Book Discussions with Topical Food Activities
Explore our historic North Fork region through literature and food. Topics include:
- January 29, 2:00 pm: The Jews of Long Island 1705-1918 with Brad Kolodny. Hands-on food preparation class with Susan Babkes.
- February 25, 11:00 am: Rumrunners in Suffolk County: Tales from Liquor Island with Amy Folk. Hands-on food preparation class with Susan Babkes.
- March 4, 11:00 am: Native American arts, crafts, and historic food preparation with Josephine Smith.
- April 29, 11:00 am: The Lady Lighthouse Keeper with Mary Korpi. Hands-on food preparation class with Mary Korpi.
Books are available at Burton’s Bookstore, Greenport.
The Lady Lighthouse Keeper by Mary Korpi
This book is an intimate and relatable look at family
life in the late 1800’s against the backdrop of the rigors required to maintain
a lighthouse. A= fictionalized account
based on the life of Stella Prince, who lived at Horton’s Point from 1871 (age
3) until she married at age 37.
Through Stella we experience the joys and hardships of
lighthouse living on Long Island Sound outside of the small community of
Reading to culminate with hands on cooking of
seafood chowder and book discussion with Ms. Korpi.