The start of a new year is undeniably a time when people look to focus on their health. And getting back in shape is about more than just joining a local gym. You have to eat right, too. So we reached out to some of our favorite local food spots for recipes that aren’t just healthy, but also fun.
We’ll be kicking off the new year by sharing those recipes this week. First up, a grain bowl and green juice from Nicole Fasolino of Morning Sun Shop.
“I’ve always been a summer lover, from the weather to the food, it’s my time. Come fall and winter I’m a zombie, so what I’ve found is comfort in organic, local warm foods to help keep my body and mind clean and clear. This dish is my cold weather go-to and always made with locally grown goods.” -Nicole Fasolino, Morning Sun Shop
- 2 cups bone broth
- 1 cup farro
- vegan butter
- vegan shredded cheese
- squash, diced
- Bring the bone broth to a boil, add farro, lower heat and cover the pot until the farro is no longer hard, but not overly chewy. Drain farro (I like to pat them with a towel a bit to get excess broth out).
- In a skillet, melt vegan butter on medium heat and add in garlic and diced squash. Once cooked, add in onions and frozen spinach, stirring in a bit of bone broth as you’re cooking. Once everything is cooked, add mushrooms. At this point I love to add a bit of vegan shredded cheese to melt a bit into the mix. I also love to add turmeric and cinnamon to this dish for a bit of flavor (and added health benefits, too).
- Once complete, transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Make one egg sunny side up in the same skillet by using the excess butter/bone broth to cook it in. Add to the top of the grains.
- Add avocado, tomatoes and vegan shredded cheese to top it all off.
In a juicer or Vitamix add:
- filtered water infused with charcoal
- handful of organic frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup of rinsed organic kale
- 1/2 cup large organic cucumber
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- handful of blueberries
- two organic lemons, peeled