It’s spring and our farm stands and farmer’s markets are looking very, very green! The season’s best lineup is highlighted in this fresh, bright and springy salad. Delicate pea leaves, or pea tendrils, are something you will rarely find at the supermarket and make that visit to the local farmer’s market that much more complete. They instantly add incomparable texture and flavor to your salad.
This salad encompasses everything spring right now and is the perfect colorful dish for your first spring gathering, so get outside and enjoy that sunshine.
The Springiest North Fork Salad
- 2 cups pea shoots/tendrils
- 8-10 oz little gem lettuce or baby lettuce mix, washed and dried
- 1 bunch spring radishes, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced. Leave a few radishes whole for garnish.
- 1 bunch asparagus, tender parts only. Blanched and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas, blanched
- 1 bunch fresh chives
- 1/2 cup toasted pignoli nuts
- Chive blossoms or blooming herbs for garnish (if available)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp Champagne vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp whole-grain mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- salt and pepper to taste