Sign up for our Newsletter

This October, take our evocative tour of the area’s historic buildings, sites and cemeteries. (Ghosts not included.)

Illustrations by Kelly Franké

The Big Duck

1012 NY-24, Flanders

Built in 1931, this cement duck was once a poultry store and is now an iconic symbol of Long Island’s duck farming past.

Jamesport Meeting House

1590 Main Road, Jamesport

Built by Puritan settlers in 1731, this is the oldest public building on the East End. Today it hosts weddings, performances and even yoga classes.

Hallockville Museum Farm

6038 Sound Ave., Riverhead

Built in 1765, the 65-acre Hallock homestead is now a busy living museum.

The Old House

355 Case’s Lane, Cutchogue

If you are curious about how Pilgrims lived in the 1600s, take a guided tour of this English-style house on the Village Green.

Old Cutchogue Burying Ground

32770 Main Road, Cutchogue

One of the oldest graveyards on the North Fork, this is where the first Christian settlers in Cutchogue were buried.

Fort Corchaug

23800 Route 25, Cutchogue

Artifacts found at this spot, one of the best-preserved Indigenous sites in the country, provide visible evidence of the first contact between the Corchaug people and Europeans.

Maple Lane Museum Complex

55200 Main Road, Southold

The Southold Historical Museum welcomes visitors to 11 buildings here, the oldest being the Thomas Moore House, once a home to enslaved people.

Meigs Raid Landing Spot

Town Beach, 53005 Route 48, Southold

A marker here notes the spot where, in 1777, 130 Patriots rowed across Long Island Sound from

Connecticut, carried their boats over a narrow section of the North Fork and sailed on to attack a British foraging party in Sag Harbor.

Village Blacksmith Shop

101 Front St., Greenport

This spot, a working reproduction of the blacksmith shop that made tools for local baymen for 60 years, is open to visitors year-round.

Village House

1555 Village Lane, Orient

Built in 1789 and preserved as an 1880s-era boarding house, this home on the campus of the Oysterponds Historical Society takes visitors back to the days when the area first became a fashionable summer resort.